Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat was very healthy and then today he was vomiting and

Customer Question

my cat was very healthy and then today he was vomiting and acting like he was in pain when petted
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I saw,last week he ate a mouse
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dewey ,three
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dewey?
Customer: He was a wild kitten I found
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your fellow Dewey is acting painful and has vomited.

Please check his litter box and see if there is any evidence of him urinating today.

I am most concerned that he has a urinary tract blockage. A male cat's urethra is quite small in diameter.

If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.

When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the cat to vomit and become quite uncomfortable.

If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.

He needs immediate veterinary care.

Here is a link if you wish more information about lower urinary tract disease: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease

Can you palpate his belly?

In the back part, near his rear legs/spine, is his bladder. If you can feel a balloon shaped structure, can be tangerine sized to softball size that is likely his full bladder. Some cats are so painful they won't even let you touch their belly.

I highly recommend that you have your fellow see a veterinarian right away this evening.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.