Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 13 year old cat who, as of today, has been very

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old cat who, as of today, has been very lethargic and is sniffing everything in the house (furniture, floors, doors carpet, walls, etc. He is diabetic, has IBS, and pancreatitis. He has vomited everything he has eaten today. he is on insulin for his diabetes, and Atopica for Cats, and has been on an antibotic and a probiotic. The last two he is no longer on. He is strictly an indoor cat. He has been sniffing everything in the house today ( floors, carpet, walls, furniture, etc), and has kept his nose to the ground. At times, he is also emitting some terrible moaning sounds, but does not appear to be in any pain. He appears to be somewhat weak. His bathroom habits are pretty much normal, as well as his eating habits. Moose is 13 years old. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moose?
Customer: Thanks. Not right now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I am quite concerned about Moose. If you have not already, we’d need to check his blood sugar since this sniffing behavior can sometimes be seen in the early stages of a hypoglycaemic event and/or seizures (and I suspect the vocalizing is being triggered by mental confusion if his blood sugar is off). Depending on your finding there and whether he has had any more vomiting, we may need to think about having him seen urgently for stabilization, anti-nausea medication by injection and IV fluids. That way we can head off any deterioration of his diabetes here and get him stable as quickly as possible since diabetics just cannot afford to have vomiting.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.