Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Caught my cats tail in door pretty significantly it is

Customer Question

caught my cats tail in door pretty significantly it is bleeding and swollen. The cat is half feral and is very hard to catch even for it's yearly vaccines. It will not come close now but is eating and drinking. I feel bad
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: I have a vet but he says he needs me to catch her, which is impossible now and bring to office. So much for taking care of 5 dogs for years, all shots, and preventatives. just wants a fee
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did the injury occur?
2) Is the cat still able to move the distal most portion of the tail?
3) Do you have a picture of the injury?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the cat is not moving the end of her tail below injury it is bloody and swollen. It is still eating and drinking.

Your vet has asked you to bring her in not to just collect a fee but because they are required to perform an exam on any animal they assist medically. It's the same reason you cannot walk into a doctors office and simply pick up medication--they must see you for an exam first. Your vet is simply following protocol set forth by their licensing board.

That being said, it sounds like the tail may be broken and may require amputation. If you cannot catch her by hand, you're going to need to use a humane trap. You can find these at feed stores and might also check with rescues and shelters in your area. They will often loan them out for usage. Then, all you must do is place food in the trap and for the cat to walk into the trap for the meal. Once they depress the action plate, the doors will fall securing them in the trap and allowing you to take the cat and trap to the vet together. Your vet will then be able to examine her and offer treatment based on her presentation. If she does require amputation, your vet can use sutures that do not require removal and can give an antibiotic injection to prevent infection.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?