Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

We have a cat, unknown age, appears to being having very

Customer Question

We have a cat, unknown age, appears to being having very painful hunching when having bowel movements. Sometimes there's a mix of liquid and she will do it as she walks (she's in the house). We love her but don't want her to live in pain. It's brown colored diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No idea. She was the neighborhood cat and we have 8 nnof her offspring. We gained her trust and got her fixed so the stray problem is no longer an issue!
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: We call her Mama Cat and we know she's at least 4 yrs old but seems to look alot older all of a sudden. She was once fierce!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mama?
Customer: She lays around, no playing, mews in pain (we think) when picked up, eats very well.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Are you seeing hard feces at times or just liquid?

Is she just seeming to posture/strain longer even when not passing stool?

When was she last wormed? What was used?

Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
She's had these signs for roughly a yr or less. She's had liquid bowels all the time, some thicker but she's been going downhill lately. She appears to be in severe pain and hunches and walks as she does it. We use Diamataceous (?sorry) Earth daily in their food. Yes, weight loss.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has had stools of this nature for so long, then her deterioration isn't unexpected. Her hunching is likely due to secondary bowel inflammation and discomfort from the diarrhea itself. Furthermore, if she hasn't been able to properly digest food (which is how we end up with firm stool), then all that diarrhea is going to represent lost nutrition which will cause weight loss. Therefore, really we'd need to be addressing the cause of this for her to give her a chance to recover, to not be in pain, and to help her regain that lost weight.

With this all in mind and considering Mama's advanced state, it would be highly advisable for her to have a full check up and stool testing. Based on that you will be able to pinpoint the cause and determine if it is treatable for her. And if she is ~4years of age, this is likely infectious and therefore more treatable then issues of elderly cats (like gut based cancers). So, that would be the ideal for her if you wanted to give her a chance to recover.

Otherwise, at the very least she needs to be put onto a gut sensitive diet to try to help her digest something and keep from wasting way. Often we will use Hills I/D, Royal Canin Gastrointestinal, or Purina EN diets. Further to this, you would be best to properly worm her and specifically use Panacur (Fenbendazole) since that will cover worms but also some of our protozoal causes here.

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies.(Do avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol, or treatments with aspirin/salicylic acid as those aren't cat safe). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger what we are seeing, In this case, it sounds like Mama has pain secondarily to chronic diarrhea inflaming her gut. Therefore, we'd want to be aggressive here if she is wasting away. So, a check up or at least a stool sample being fully tested would be ideal here. That way you will know what you are facing with her and can take steps to help her with this before she wastes away.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for the info you have provided already. I do want to add a few things. There is blood in her stool/liquid but minimal. My husband thinks she is closer to 10 yrs, we fed her on the porch as a stray for 2 yrs approx. Our regular vet got fed up with us taking stool samples to him so we won't be going back to him. She's been domesticated for 3 yrs. Wet food once daily, dry food bowls out for roughly 1/2 day. We've have someone mention liver failure but I can't find anything online to back it up. Does any of this help anymore?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

Hi again,

If that vet wasn't amenable to helping you with this lass, then you are best to find an alternative locally. Especially since leaking stool like this really raises concerns about protozoal issues. Though if she is older, then IBD and gut based cancer would have to be put back onto our differential list for her. And those are more likely to cause diarrhea then liver issues (which often manifest with increased thirst, gum discoloration, etc). So, she needs a full check if this has progressed so severely and since her being older adds to the concerns for these unrelenting signs.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.