Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 17 year old cat is extremely constipated. Can't get any

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat is extremely constipated. Can't get any relief. Is Ina lot of discomfort and distress. Help! Vet not open yet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He has chronic kidney disease.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sol
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Sol!

If he is in severe pain or distress, then we'd really want to have him seen by the local ER vet now. The same goes if you have any doubt that he can pass urine. This is because both are emergencies for cats. Bladder blockage can be fatal if left and severe constipation often requires enemas under sedation to clear.

Otherwise, if you are sure he can pass urine and he isn't in severe pain, you can at least try some home care to help him. First, you can offer cow's milk. The high lactose can increase gut movement and help them pass stool. Otherwise, you can start giving OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax). or a GI lubricant like Miralax, lactulose, food grade mineral oil orally. These will all help lubricate the gut to aid fecal passage. Ideally offer in food or if given via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). If he can settle with these, then we can monitor until his vet is open. But if he cannot and is in severe pain, we'd want him seen sooner for an enema to avoid serious gut damage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just gave him some milk. I am sure he can urinate. As a matter of fact, he is peeing all over the house. He just squats down wherever he is and pees. It is only a small amount. But he is going a couple times an hour at least. His rear end seems to hurt. He won't sit all the way down. I have miralax powder ... How do I give that to him?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much miralax? Mix in food?This is a cat who has NEVER peed outside the box until now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Every minute or two, he is squatting down wherever he is and peeing a quarter sized spot. But he is eating well (just ate a whole can of food) and just jumped up onto the bathroom vanity where I'm typing this. He doesn't like the milk too much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Thank goodness he can pass urine, since its an emergency situation we'd not want for Sol. Though I suspect his passing small amounts inappropriately, he may have a cystitis there. And that too can cause straining like you have reported (and I have seen cats with red raw bottoms from just licking the area because of cystitis). So, that may be our main issue and we'd want to keep him drinking until his vet can see him for both.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** Miralax, you need to add it to water until it is a viscous liquid (like oil). There is no hard and fast rule on how much as we just need to give enough to be effective. So, we'd start by mixing 2-3ml into his food. You could go up to 5ml every 8 hours if needed. And if we get everything passed and see diarrhea, don't worry since that usually settles once we stop the treatment. Our aim just now is to get things moving in the gut but tread with care here since his signs all fit with a cystitis as well.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cystitis isn't life threatening, is it? Not like a total blockage? I'm asking, I guess, if it's ok to wait for his regular vet to open in two hours. He's seen Sol for years and knows all of his history. So much easier than starting from scratch with ER vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

No, its not nearly as dangerous as a blockage. Cystitis is just very uncomfortable (like it is for people) and they tend to feel like they need to go all the time because of that inflamed/sore bladder. But a 2 hour delay won't be life threatening just irritating/sore for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a syringe I use to give him Adequan. It's 50 units. I'm assuming that's .5 ml? So I'd need to give 4-6 full syringes?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should the consistency be like jello before you refrigerate it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I cannot say without seeing the syringe but 5ml is a teaspoon's worth. And yes, like pourable liquid but thickened like pre-set jello.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cystitis can cause constipation? Is it because rheir rear ends become so sore they can't go?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I did mean it can lead to secondary inflammation of the rectum from overgrooming, not a direct cause. That said, if they are sore with their bladder, they can fecal hold and that could then lead to constipation. So, I'd not say it causes that but it can precipitate it secondarily.

All the best,

Dr. B.