Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has a terrible ear condition. She was a stray & since

Customer Question

My cat has a terrible ear condition. She was a stray & since I've had her she was diagnosed with diabetes and I administer insulin twice daily. months ago I noticed black crust forming around the tips of the ears the eyes and around the nose. I tried to keep her face clean but it developed quickly. when I took her to the vet my vet focused more on her diabetes and not on the problem with her ears. her ears are bloody at the tips she's constantly scratching and shaking her head she appears miserable. the tips of her ears will not quit bleeding. it will temporarily stop& form a black crust at the top of her ear which breaks off literally shortening the length of her ear. Her eyes are cloudy. when she walks she seems unbalanced. there are specks of blood on her face and on her paws. her coat is matted and seems to be segment into sections. I know that she needs to go to the vet can you diagnose her condition and give me advice on what I can do to help her here at home your ears are so sensitive she barely lets me touch them. she is a mess! Levi's have her diabetes under control her numbers are good throughout the day. I love this cat very much but I am spending lots of money on her and the other 5 rescue cats that I have adopted. By the way none of my other cat's show any signs of having this. please help me to help her. I am able to provide good care and i can be diligent in administering or providing any care that you think would help her. is there a way I could send you a picture of her? Sincerely Kay
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sending a pic of "white girl"
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about White Girl's problems. It is hard to say from a picture alone (one of the pictures is dark and hard to see), but since she is a white cat that has been outside (I assume since she was a stray), this could be skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma. It is fairly common in white cats, that are outside, and get a lot of sunlight. It could be a precancerous condition, and in that case a medication called Onsior might be helpful. It is a prescription, so you could only get it from a veterinarian who has seen and examined her.

Has she had regular blood glucose readings; do you know if her diabetes is controlled and that her blood sugar is under 200? Her cloudy eyes, and her coat matting as you describe (an indication she is not grooming herself well) may be signs her blood sugar is still high.

Is she getting a special diet for diabetic cats? In some cats, diabetes can be controlled better if the diet is changed to a low carbohydrate, high protein diet.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. How is White Girl? Can I help with anything else?