Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dog Flea and tick med was put on my now she won't drop

Customer Question

Dog Flea and tick med was put on my now she won't drop shaking. What can I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What brand was it? What size?

How much does Taffy weigh?

How long ago did get applied?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sergeants flea and squeeze on for dogs. A few drops. 3-4 pounds. 6 hours ago
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you get my information
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I have and just need a moment to finish my full reply - Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Seargants brand. A few drips. About 4 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

This is quite a dangerous product to put on kitties as it can cause what you are seeing but can progress to causing seizures and at times be fatal. Now hopefully since it was a few drops and we aren't seeing seizures yet, we hopefully won't see them. Still, I would note that if you can see any residue of that product on her coat, you need to be washing it off (using dawn dish soap) and/or consider shaving off that part of the coat to remove any residual toxin. That would ensure that there is no chance of any more absorption (or her licking any of it) and that the level of toxicity we have is the level we have to approach. Because at this stage, we are past most prevention of signs and are at the point where we need to support and address those adverse ones we seen.

Now despite this being such a common toxicity, there is sadly no 'cure' or antidote for it (not at home and not even at the vets). It is a case of supportive treatment to get them through the period of the drug's effect. Often is we have cats who are just twitching (which I would suspect is what the shaking is), it may be a case of monitoring her. Typically, if they are seizing, that would have been our indication that she needed to be treated with anti-seizure medication +/- muscle relaxants from her vet. As well, in those cases, we often administer IV fluids to help speed up the body's flushing of this toxin from their system. That all said, if she is not seizing (though she may benefit from muscle relaxants for those twitches from the local vet) then we may be in a position where monitoring her can be considered.

And in that case, we want to keep her in a room that is calm, quiet, and dimly lit (to decrease stimuli that might trigger seizures). You do want to keep an eye on her body temperature (since depression of temperature will increase the toxicity + long term twitching can also cause elevated temperatures). You can offer small amounts of food and water but if she isn't keen then you don't want to push at this point since GI signs can also be part of this type of poisoning.

With supportive care for the signs, provided a cat doesn't go into continuous seizures (which of course need treating), most cats will survive this type of poisoning and recover within 24-48 hours. So, if she is only twitching just now then you may consider monitoring her in quiet room at this stage. Hopefully, we won't see seizures and this will be the worst of Taffy's toxicity signs.

Overall, we need to tread with care. Her signs aren't severe but we aren't at peak effect just yet. Therefore, if she is severely shaking, then we are safest to have her seen for symptomatic care. Else we'd need to keep her calm and quiet through the next 6-12 hours. If we don't see worsening once we are past that stage, then we'd hope to see her signs decline and her come through this for us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is very warm and is twitching very bad. It does get slower then starts getting faster. We did bathe her with dawn dish soap. How do I know if she has a seizure?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is severely twitching, then it'd be ideal to have her seen for at least muscle relaxants here since we don't want her overheating. In regards ***** ***** they tend to collapse to their signs, severely twitch while paddling their legs. They can also loose control of their bladders and bowels and appear disoriented before and after. So, we don't want to be seeing that with her and if she is tremoring severely then we'd be best to have her in for symptomatic treatment to prevent that.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Taffy.

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would a little piece of aspiran help as muscle relaxer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

No, absolutely not. Its not a muscle relaxant and actually is only used in cats in tiny doses if they have heart issues. So, please do not give that to Taffy since we don't want to end up causing her a stomach ulcer as well.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Our kitten pulled through last night. She was still shaking a little at noon. When I got home at 5 she was completely herself. I was so glad. I didn't want to tell my 6 year old she had died. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am very glad her signs didn't worsen and the effects have worn off. That is the best case scenario here and we'd expect no lasting harm.

Best regards,

Dr. B

-------------------------------------------