Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have asked questions before about our cat with seizures.

Customer Question

I have asked questions before about our cat with seizures. He now has been on phenobarbitol (16.2mg/day) since May, and has not had any seizures since we started medication. We would like to try to take him off the medication, since we suspect that his seizures were caused by the flee medication. If he starts getting seizures again, we will put him back on the medication and accept that it is for the rest of his life.My question is - how do we best wean him off the medication minimizing risk to him? Do we just stop or reduce the dosage? He now gets half a pull 2x day. We can probably cut the pill into quarters, but anything smaller will be hard. Thanks! Judit
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 19 days ago.

Hi Judith,

If you want to take him off, you do want to reduce the phenobarb slowly. I would give 1/2 pill once a day for a couple of weeks. If there are no seizures, then give 1/4th a day for a couple of weeks. Then you could give 1/4th every other day for a few times and if he still seems OK, stop it.

Let me know if this is helpful and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 17 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response. How is Brooks? Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 15 days ago.
Hi Judit,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brooks. How is everything going?