Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Vet says give him benadryl for itching, but he is diabetic.

Customer Question

vet says give him benadryl for itching, but he is diabetic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the cat has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: sam 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sam?
Customer: he has sore from scratching.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 24 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Benadryl can be used in diabetic patients. The only caveat is that we'd want to start with a low dose (0.5mg per pound every 12 hours) to make sure Sam doesn't have stomach upset from this (since we cannot afford for diabetics to go off their food). And I'd note that this is a safer option then our more common steroids since those will often negatively impact the stability of our diabetic's blood sugar.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )