Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She has a tumor growing above her eye, and it seems to have

Customer Question

she has a tumor growing above her eye, and it seems to have broken open, weeping some kind of black liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Maggie age 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: She had a tumor surgically removed in the exact same spot 6 months ago, but it grew back
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Has this been causing her discomfort?

Is it on the skin above the eye or lid?

Is the fluid profusely leaking from it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't seem to be painful. Even when I dab it to dry off the liquid which is mostly black. The fluid is not profuse, but it is constant for the past two days.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Poor Maggie!!

That is quite a nasty mass there. In regards ***** ***** black fluid, I suspect that there has been a degree of tumor necrosis (cell death) as the mass has outgrew the local blood supply. This tends to lead to quite dark unpleasant fluids from these types of masses once they ulcerate as hers has. Unfortunately, this is a tricky situation. It will keep leaking and struggle to heal because those abnormal cells just don't function like normal ones and will keep trying to grow. And if the skin cannot close over it, then it will keep draining. Therefore, you need to have a serious discussion with her vet about how to approach this since it would at least need to be debulked (where as much as possible is removed and the skin closed over it) or perhaps they could try anti-inflammatories to help shrink this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.