Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cats eye is cloudy and pupil is misshapen. We have been

Customer Question

My cats eye is cloudy and pupil is misshapen. We have been giving her neomycin and polymixin B sulfate eye drops. What can it be?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has her eye been like this?

Is the clouding over the top or inside the eye?

Did her vet examine her eye since this started? Did they check the eye's pressure?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Are you thinking Glaucoma?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Think I will take her back to the vet Monday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

Hi again,

Glaucoma is one differential but not my top one given your description.

Are you able to answer those other questions I asked and post a photo for me?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I think I got the pic attached. It has been several months for the eye.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Oh dear, poor Iris.

Your photo isn't quite in focus and looks a bit grainy but I am quite worried about her eye. The cornea looks less shiny/clear then it should which is a indication of corneal edema/inflammation. Though that is a side effect of a bigger issue. And while secondary glaucoma is a worry (since the peripheral swelling looks more like an enlarged eyeball as opposed to an abscess/bleed being on the back of the eye), I am quite concerned that its not the main cause of what we are seeing here. Instead, I'd be concerned about an intraocular mass. This could take up space in the eye to change pressures and trigger glaucoma but also could explain the chances to her pupil (where that isn't a primary glaucoma sign). Therefore, we'd want to have her seen by her vet and we may need them to refer to an eye specialist to get to the root of this or even potentially remove that eye for her. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )