Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Have a 13 year old female cat. Occasionally, she vomits her

Customer Question

Hi have a 13 year old female cat. Occasionally, she vomits her dry food. This past evening she repeatedly woke me up by walking to my bedroom requiring attention. I generally let her drink water from the bathroom faucet. However, today she did seem satisfied. Early this morning I noticed that she was running around the house, so I got up and let her out to eat some grass. The digestion of grass seemed to help and then she returned to sleep. Should the cat be on a specific diet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Have you noticed her vomiting her food more lately? Eating more grass?

Has she been drinking more?

Are her urinations larger or more dilute/watery?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any changes to her appetite, her stools, or her weight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her urination seem a little larger. However, at this moment she won't allow me to touch her gums or stomach. I can send you an email with that information at another time. In reference to her appetite, it seems normal and weight is also normal. Stools are also normal to small size, no diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I am afraid that it is against website policy to provide email addresses, but you can post with that information when you can. And I'd note that it is worth checking since she sounds to have a possible low grade nausea and we'd need to make sure we don't have pale gums as well.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Shyla. Its not uncommon to see cats vomit food on occasion. The problem is that if they do, it can be hard to pick up when the vomiting is due to something abnormal. And I am concerned with her grass eating and restlessness that this may be one of those occasions. Furthermore, at her age and with increased urination (as well as hearing she may be prone to urinary tract infections), we'd be wary of the vomiting/nausea being secondary to a more subtle internal issue. Specifically, kidney disease, liver troubles, or metabolic disease (ie thyroid issues, diabetes). As well, it is possible to see these kinds of signs in early stage cancer (ie GI lymphoma)

So, I have to say there isn't a diet we'd necessarily rush to use here as a cure all for her signs. That said, for the short term it'd be ideal to use a light diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity, Purina EN) too. As well, it can help to feed small frequent meals to reduce any role her dry food (since it expands when in contact with stomach fluids) may be playing here. And we may want to consider treating with an OTC cat hairball treatment, adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin), and/or probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to her food to ensure her gut is working at optimum.

Otherwise, we'd want to try to counter any nausea present for the short term and hopefully she won't need any more grass to stay settled. In regards ***** ***** so, we can use an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Overall, Shlya's signs are subtle but they just make me wary of an underlying issue causing low grade nausea and that it may be causing her progressive issue now. Therefore, we'd want to use the above supportive care over the weekend. But it'd be ideal for her to have a check +/- geriatric blood screen once her regular vet is open to determine if we have any of these issues present and address them now before they can cause any further signs for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )