Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

Why does my cat eat grass when it just throuws it back up?

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

The truth is, no one knows 100% for sure why cats (and dogs) eat grass. What we do know is that they do not have the enzymes necessary to digest most grass types, and that a wad of grass in the stomach almost always leads to a vomiting episode. Some of the theories out there include:

1. It is a natural behavior that has evolved so that the vomiting can also rid the body of other materials that can accumulate in the stomach such as hairballs, or feathers or bones from consuming prey.

2. Eating grass could be due to a craving for something the animal is not otherwise getting from the diet such as fiber or, as some have speculated, folic acid.

3. It could be just because "they just like it".

However, if your pet is vomiting at times (more frequently than once or twice a month) when grass is not involved- this could be indication of underlying disease, and a visit to your veterinarian is warranted.

There are special "cat grasses" you can purchase at pet stores- to satisfy that grass craving. Or you could grow your own. If it is young and fresh, it may be less irritating to the stomach and therefore less likely to induce vomiting.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Hi Prosper,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sugarprosper Walker. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane