Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 8 year old cats one eye is getting darker than the other,

Customer Question

My 8 year old cats one eye is getting darker than the other, is this a sign of anything?? He also has feline hiv and is in excellent health other than this recent issue.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Sheila, are you referring to Crush's iris - the colored ring around his black pupil - darkening? Can you upload a photo(s) of his eyes to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Darkening of the iris can indicate cancer (melanoma, mainly) invading the iris. It's important to note, however, that unlike the feline leukemia virus (FeLV), the feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) is not oncogenic (predisposing to tumor).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm currently at work and not able to send a picture. Is it possible for me to send later? Yes - it's the iris.

Certainly, you can return to our conversation at your convenience. Bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you!

It's my pleasure. I'll watch for your next post.

Hi Sheila,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Crush. How is everything going?