Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My 10 year old male cat, Bubba, has a cloudy right eye and a

Customer Question

My 10 year old male cat, Bubba, has a cloudy right eye and a wide open pupil in his left eye. He bumps into furniture so I know he's blind. He's also gotten skinny. However, he eats regularly, rubs and purrs, rolls over for belly rubs. I don't think he's in pain.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 23 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I am glad to hear that Bubba is still a happy and comfortable cat despite his ongoing health issues. I agree that that eye is likely non-functional for him. With the pupil dilated that suggests that light isn’t getting to the retina in the back of the eye. And if the eye is clouding inside, then we could have a cataract present. Though if it is cloudy/opaque over the top, then we may have corneal damage and disease. (And if that were present, we’d want a check up for that eye since we can see ulcers in those cases that can lead to eye rupture –something we’d want to avoid for him).

Otherwise, I am concerned to hear that he is losing weight despite a good appetite. At his age, this is something we can often see. Common causes are organ issues (ie liver, kidney disease) metabolic issues (ie thyroid disease or diabetes), and it can also be a subtle feature of cancer (where the growth does little more then steal nutrients from our cats).

With this all in mind, it would be ideal for Bubba to have a full check up +/- geriatric blood test at his vets. If he is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up. His vet can palpate his abdomen to rule out tumors and the bloods can help us determine if we have metabolic or organ issues present. Based on those findings, we would be able to take steps to address whichever is present and help get some weight back on him. Finally, while arranging that, I would suggest offering a calorie rich diet. Options like Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet can be of great benefit. Even kitten food or Nutrical paste can help. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and can help counter this weight loss for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.