Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

My 13 year old cat has lost a significant amount of weight

Customer Question

My 13 year old cat has lost a significant amount of weight over the last couple of months. We were able to rule out worms. He is still very active, but is continually crying for food even though we always leave dry food out for him in addition to canned food twice a day. Our other cat is in perfect health.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Marley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marley?
Customer: He's never had any health issues until now. Both cats are indoor/outdoor, but always stay close to our house.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has this been going on for?

have we been seen at the vet for this yet?

otherwise eating and drinking ok?

any other meds or illness?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2 months
No vet visit yet
non-stop meowing for food. Water intake normal
no other health issues beyond loss of weight

ok thank you for that additional information.

I would highly recommend getting him in to get some bloodwork done. My top concern would be hyperthyroidism. they typically will vocalize a lot, eat a ton of food but still drop weight. I would defintiely get a thyroid screen done, as well as some bloodwork to check other internal organs (like kidneys in particular). hyperthyroidism can also mask kidney disease so if we end up having hyperthyroidism you will want a base line then to recheck the kidney values once the thyroid is under control to make sure we haven't revealed kidney issues as well. not all hyperthyroid cats will have both but good to be on top of. I would also get a fecal done to make sure there aren't any internal parasites that could be causing it. that is my most top concern at this point. if everything comes back normal then we would go digging a little deeper into diagnostics, but thyroid is going to be on the top of my list at this point given the symptoms you are describing.

does that answer your questions? is there anything else I can answer or explain?

If there isn't anything else then I wish you two the best!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.