Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our male cat at least 12 years old. He is indoor outdoor and

Customer Question

Hello. Our male cat at least 12 years old. He is indoor outdoor and has alway been a long slender short-hair cat. He has been following us around the house and always wanting to eat more since 6 weeks ago. He seems to have been losing weight since this time and when we pet him we can hear his stomach making noises. Last night and today he has been vomiting every 6 hours. The vomit is a bright yellow liquid. He will not drink or eat. Every 6 hours he moves to a different part of the house and lies in a corner. He spirits seems down. His nose is a little warm. He has been given moist and dry food for the last 10 years. He enjoyed eating birds and mice he catches as this is what cats were designed to eat. I am a health consultant and have read about a holistic remedy such as advanced immune sytem restoration. Would these natural herbs work best or is there somewhere I can get stem cell injections? Boosting the animals immune system seems to be the safest long lasting reversal of disease. What do you suggest?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** I will do my best to answer your question. I'm typing the first part of my response now and want you to know I'll have a reply with more information in a couple of minutes.

I'm glad you are trying to give Romeo a healthy support system. I am suspicious however, that he has hyperthyroidism. It is more common in older cats over 8 years old that have an increased appetite and increased incidence of vomiting. It could also be caused by other problems with his internal organs such as diabetes. With that they can have increased appetite. The only way to diagnose these diseases is to have a vet do bloodwork. Then depending on what they find, you can come up with a plan to help him out that you are comfortable with.

I've not heard of stem cells helping with either of these diseases if he has them. And unfortunately, there is not a good holistic treatment for hyperthyroidism if that is what he has. However, if he is not eating, that is very concerning. Has the not eating and drinking only been since last night?

It would not be wrong to take him to the vet tonight and have blood work run and possibly get him fluids. However, if he is not eating or drinking tomorrow, it becomes much more important to have him seen. When cats don't eat, it makes their liver very angry. Their metabolism changes and they become very sick rather quickly. The vomiting may be unrelated to the increased appetite as well. When did he have his last good meal? Could he have gotten into anything outside that could have upset his gastrointestinal tract?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Tamra, I Just got home. You seem very knowledgable and friendly. What school did you receive your DVM? He had his last big meal monday night. He first seemed under the weather tuesday at 10:30AM and that is when I noticed he stopped drinking. Now it is wednesday night and he last threw up wednesday morning. He has not drank or eaten since. Family member is an Registered Nurse and took his renal temperature at 104 degrees. His heart rate is 150 beats per minute. Every hour I check on him he is lying down with his eyes open and he moves to a different spot every 2 hours. Cats usually sleep a lot, but I have not seen him sleep all day. His eyes seems to be the same color but his spirits still seem down. The closest Holistic Vet is an hour away, so would it be okay to take him standard vet for blood work and then go from there? What fluids should we administer to him in the meantime? Is human pedialyte okay? Is Vitatlityscience.com's Advanced Immune Restoration formula which contains An anti-cancer combination of enzymes, probiotics, green algae, and essential nutrients for immune system; herbal anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic; fish oil, krill oil, Astaxanthin (extracted from Haematococcus Pluvialis microalgae), and natural vitamin E good? There have been accounts of pets reversing cancer with this but the big food and drug Company's will never do a study on natural immune boosting herbs because they is no money in cures just the management of disease. -Thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding. I think going to a standard vet for blood work would be a good idea since he hasn't eaten in a couple of days. 104 is a fever for a cat. Especially if he has been quiet and not active. The fluids they would give would most likely be IV and it would depend on his blood work results which one would be a good choice. It is also difficult to say whether the Advanced Immune Restoration formula would help because we aren't sure what is wrong yet. He may be sick with a feline pancreatitis and his immune system is not the primary player in him feeling bad. As I mentioned before, cats not eating can get very sick rather quickly due to metabolic changes in the liver. If he isn't eating for you, I would take him to the vet for an exam and blood work so you can know what is going on with his internal organs and blood cell counts. I graduated from Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Tamra, here is the cat Romeo's health notes.)
Nancy's male cat at least 13-15 years old. He is indoor outdoor and has always been a long slender short-hair cat. He has been following Nancy around the house and always wanting to eat more, (around 5 times a day) since 6 weeks ago. He seems to have been losing weight since this time and when we pet him we can hear his stomach making noises. On September 18 and 19, 2016, Nancy gave Romeo a large serving of ham as Romeo liked and devoured it quickly and he prefered it over all other food. The natural market ham contained ham off the bone, cured with water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite. He had his last big meal monday night, 9/26/2016. He first seemed to have very low energy and be under the weather Tuesday September 27, 2016 at 10:30AM and that is when Nancy noticed he stopped drinking. He threw up wednesday morning. He has not drank or eaten since monday night. Tuesday and Wednesday he has been vomiting every 6 hours. The vomit is a bright yellow liquid. He will not drink or eat. Every 6 hours he moves to a different part of the house and lies in a corner. He spirits seems down. His nose is a little warm. He has been given moist Fancy feast and dry food for the last 10 years. He enjoyed eating birds and mice he catches as this is what cats are designed to eat. Nancy is a retired Registered Nurse and took his renal temperature at 104 degrees. His heart rate is 150 beats per minute. Every hour I check on him he is lying down with his eyes open and he moves to a different spot every 2 hours. By Wednesday night Romeo looked very weak, lost more weight and appears to look like he is skin and bones. I spoke with a few traditional Veterinarians and a few Holistic Vets. They all said he needs a blood panel for a diagnosis and to find out what's going on. I spoke with a renowned pet psychic/healer who said she should do an energy healing. I gave an energy healing to Romeo Thursday night for 1.5 hours. Bonnie, the pet healer also did a healing and said it might take a few days for Romeo to start getting better. The healer said not to send him to the Vet for blood tests because it will be stressful on the cat's energy and well being and that drawing blood is invasive and might over tax the cat's body and immune system as it trys to clot the blood and stop the bleeding. She said the Vet will give a complicated name to a problem that just is that the cat's body is not functioning properly and then they will prescribe a harmful drug with side effects. She said Vets have good intentions, but the AMA's system of standard care often yields poor results in the long run.
On Thursday Nancy started giving Romeo 3 cc's of water in his mouth every 3 hours. On Friday night Romeo urinated in the cat box for the first noticable time. Romeo jumped on Nancy's bed at night to sleep for a while. Romeo did not vomit on Friday.
I gave Romeo another healing Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday night.
On Saturday morning Romeo wanted to go outside so he went in the neighbor's yard and had a soft,light brown colored running stool. He then came in and urinated for 30 seconds. Next he went to his water bowl and had about 30 licks of water. From this day on Romeo continues to drink water. He did not want to eat. He then went in the backyard for 10 minutes, then came in to sleep on and off for the rest of the day. On Saturday evening Nancy gave romeo 3 cc's of pediatric electrolyte with zinc and 6 cc's of rabbit juice and water because she was worried Romeo still wasn't eating. On Sunday Nancy gave Romeo 3 cc's of pediatric electrolyte and 6 cc's of rabbit juice and water 3 times throughtout the day. Sunday night, Romeo sharpened his claws on the wooden dresser
On Monday morning, Bonnie gave Romeo a second healing. Nancy gave Romeo the same feeding routine as Sunday. We followed Bonnie's natural food advice. At around 10AM, Romeo had a BM on neighbor's yard that she picked up and now the stool was a small soft dark brown intact stool. Nancy said Romeo vomited a yellow greenish liquid on neighbor's sidewalk.
On Tuesday morning Nancy said Romeo went outside and had BM in neighbor's yard 9:45AM. Romeo is still not eating by himself.
On Tuesday evening, 10/04/2016 at around 9PM Romeo started eating by himself for the first time in 8 days. He ate little bits of a store bought fresh warmed natural roasted chicken. On Wednesday early morning, Nancy said Romeo put his paw on her body, a behavior he normally does when he wants food or wants to be petted. He then ate a little bit of the fresh roasted chicken. Later Wednesday morning, she said Romeo started purring as he was lying in bed next to her. At around noon, Romeo went outside and started to move a little faster than the day before. Next, Romeo ate a little more bits of chicken.
As of Wednesday, 10/04/2016, Romeo is showing signs of improvement. He still is very frail, mostly skin and bones and seems stil
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
continued)
is very frail, mostly skin and bones and seems still to be somewhat slow and weak. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being full of health, vibrant, strong and happy, I would rate Romeo before is health depletion on Tuesday morning, 9/27/2016, to be an 8. That tuesday morning Romeo's health suddenly appeared to be a 2. As of 10/04/2016 I would rate Romeo's health to be a 4.5 to 5 out of 10.
We look forward to Romeo's continuing weight, strength and health improvement.
On Wednesday morning, 10/05/2016 Romeo went outside in the sun and walked around the yard. When I ran the toy string around him to see if he would play, he took a few swings at the string on and off for a few minutes. He came in the house to a eat a little bits of chicken on his own. He then went under the bed and stayed there until Nancy pulled him out at 10:30PM to give him 3 cc's of pedialyte and 6 cc's of rabbit meat juice mixed with water. Romeo jumped up on the couch to be next to Nancy and was receptive to receiving a massage. Nancy brought Romeo to bed where she and Romeo normally sleep every night. On Thursday, when Nancy woke up Romeo was under the bed in the other room he goes under everyday. She noticed there were 2 separate areas of a bright yellow liquid on the top of her bed sheet. Romeo did not go outside or come into the kitchen for his normal morning routine. He is still frail, skin and bones. I think something inside of him is not working. As of Thursday afternoon Romeo has not noticeably eaten or drank on his own since noon Wednesday. Nancy says every 2 hours she checks on him he is sitting under the bed with his eyes open. He seems calm but doesn't seem happy.
Please let me know if and when it is appropriate to force feed him water.
(Any suggestions?)
-Thanks
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 1 month ago.

Although, I respect treating the whole pet, including environment and nutrition etc, I am a veterinarian and see the value in blood work to diagnose disease and use medications appropriately to improve the health of the pet. I also completely understand the stress that cats in particular and even dogs can experience with a visit to the vet. I see multiple times that testing and medication can help a pet. I also believe that some holistic and alternative treatments can help as well. It seems to work best when all options are considered for each pet. There are a couple of diseases that can be diagnosed with simple blood panels and I have personally seen patients improve with medication. So, I can't say I agree with your psychic healer that all testing and medication is harmful to pets. It would be nice if everyone can work together to help the patient.

Having said that I think keeping Romeo hydrated if he is not drinking will definitely help him feel better. It is important that cats get good nutrition on a regular basis. The longer he goes without eating the more difficult it will be for him to heal and feel better. Obviously, you need to make the decision that is right for you and Romeo, but as a veterinarian, I see the value in diagnostics and APPROPRIATE treatment. Is there a holistic vet near you that can do diagnostics and recommend a holistic approach you may be comfortable with? Maybe a compromise to know scientifically what is wrong, but include any appropriate medication AND holistic options? It's obvious you care deeply for Romeo and I hope you can find a way to make him feel better soon. Its hard to watch them drift away.