petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My 12 year old male cat has started comiting after eating.

Customer Question

My 12 year old male cat has started comiting after eating. He even vomits after drinking milk. What could be the cause? He is on a special cat food for uti.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 25 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

What is your cat's name?

Is he an indoor only cat or is he allowed outdoors as well?

Does he still have a good appetite?

Is he able to keep any food down, or is it all coming up?

How long has this been going on?

Is he losing weight?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Sam is an outdoor cat that comes in the house to drink milk. His appetite seems normal but he suddenly wants to drink LOTS of milk. He throws up milk and cat food. This has been going on for a couple of days now. We are currently building our own house and are gone from sun up to sun down. I am not around the cat a lot. He has also taken to yowling. I'm not sure if the two are related.
Expert:  petdrz replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

What concerns me the most about what you have described is the increase in fluid intake and the frequent vomiting. There are very many reasons why cats vomit, some more serious than others. Vomiting is a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders. In young cats, we usually are a little more worried about foreign body ingestion. We decide how aggressive we need to be in diagnosing and treating it based on how severe the symptoms and how long it has been going on. In his case, I would be most worried about the metabolic disturbances that cause increased fluid intake, such as diabetes and kidney disease to name a few. If left unidentified and untreated can lead to nausea and vomiting. It is a very serious thing if a cat is not taking in adequate calories as it can lead to liver disease. Even if he is eating, if he is vomiting it up, is is not good.

Since this has been going on for a few days, I would strongly urge you to have Sam evaluated by your vet as soon as possible before he starts to progress further. The sooner the problem is identified, the better chance of a positive outcome.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z