Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans,
Experience:  Veterinarian at North Shore Animal Hospital
95953543

My 10 yr. old male cat, Skylar usually eats his meals and

Customer Question

My 10 yr. old male cat, Skylar usually eats his meals and trys to steal my other cats meal which i separate in another room for that very reason. But for the past 5 days Skylar has been throwing up after each meal. So he has been fasting for 24 hours and has only had water. But he throws up about 10 minutes after a waterery mixture with a bit of foam. He wasnt interested in food but now after 24 hours I gave him a teaspoon of wet urinary food to see what will happen. I have been giving him over the course of 6 months different food because of his scratching problem on the tail end and his tummy. he sometimes scratches till he makes it raw. so scabs form. we have given him oatmeal shampoo baths and flea stuff from the vets but we all along thought that his urinary chicken flavor food was the cause of his itchiness. which is why the multiple changes in the food. now its been 15 mins and he hasnt thrown up that teaspoon of wet urinary wet. I dont know what to do sincerely, Deborah
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 2 months ago.

Hi! This is Dr. Evans, do you have some time to chat now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Do you happen to have any pictures you could send me of the lesions on the skin? If not it's okay, it'll just take a bit longer ;)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
through my phone I can Ihave an i phone which i can sit next to skylar

That would be great. So it sounds like your cat has a history of urinary problems and, now, doesn't tollerate the food very well, is this accurate? Also, how old is your cat?

10 year old, got it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he will eat anything with out throwing up, up until a week ago when I think there were too many food changes. Though i always kept him on the wet urinary food
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was trying to find urinary wet and dry with out chicken. but i dont think that is the problem
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in 2008-9 we had too take him to the hospital for his urinary problem. and he has been on urinary vet food ever since
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its been a half an hour now since i gave him a teaspoon of the urinary wet and he hasnt thrown up yet .

Urinary diets are fantastic, but they have to be given exclusively - meaning if your cat is stealing other cats food it's gonna be a waste of time and money... thats okay! Sometimes it's just not possible.

Wet food is going to be the MOST important thing going forward.

It sounds like your cat has food allergies. 9 times out of 10 this is chicken protein-based allergies... and the itchy skin helps with that argument. I recommend a wet food (try fancy feast as it's very palatable) but NOT a chicken based one. I also recommend sprinkling probiotics on your cats food daily.

Does that all make sense?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok cool I will try that. But fancy feast is not a urinary vet food. If cats have this problem its ok to give them this?. As long as its a wet food? I will definately give them probiotics. And also i feed my other cat the same food to be on the safe side ever since his 2008 visit to the hospital.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does i was always told that i have to but the vets medicated food which is the only reason i questioned the fancy feast choice. :)

Wet food is most important as cat's don't have a strong thirst response and keeping the crystals dilute is most important. It's not ideal, but if hes getting into the other cats food anyway we may not have a choice.

You can also try S/O which is a Royal Canin diet, they also have a non-chicken diet.

One more thing before you go!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok great. thank you. I was on royal canin but thats what made me swich.

glucosamine/chondroitin really helps with a layer in the bladder of male cats with urinary problems. I strongly recommend Cosequin sprinkled on the food as well!!.

https://www.chewy.com/cat/dp/101450?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Nutramax&gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFW0c8D6oVVvlN-Gg5v52Cb5sHTFuvYADxwyrvXaXVg0BoC5oLw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Please rate me so I know how we did today and feel free to update me in the future!

Yes, it is a joint supplement but trust me :)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I felt that he was getting itchy from the royal so i switched to hills and thank you i will get that too.

It certainly sounds like it. Can I answer any more of your questions tonight?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for being a great help i really apprieciate your professional advice.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will up date you :)

Thats why I do what I do :) Please leave me a rating

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will Doctor :)

Thanks! Goodnight!

It should be ready for you to rate me before I go!

Are you still there?

Please remember to give a 5 star rating when you get a chance!