petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat was vaccinated for Rabies and treated for parasites

Customer Question

Hi, My cat was vaccinated for Rabies and treated for parasites with Droncit. It has been a week and he does not want to eat on his own. I have been force feeding him for the past five days. He drinks water voluntarily and continues to use the litter box. He is 8 years old. Prior to his vet visit he was eating and his health appeared to be good. When I force feed him he is able to keep the food down and does not vomit. Could these symptoms stem from the vaccine or parasite medication?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No he has not. He had a rabies vaccine and an injection of Droncit for parasites. Since that time he has not been well
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Blue
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blue?
Customer: The doctor noted in his blood work that he was slightly over the normal level for T4 hormones indicating that he has hyperthyroidism.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Blue today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I do not believe that the symptoms that Blue is showing are due to the vaccine or the Droncit and I would definitely have him re-evaluated by your veterinarian. When there is a vaccine reaction, it usually only involves soreness at the site of the vaccine and resolves in a few days. Cats are so good at hiding their illness, that often by the time they let on that they don't feel well, they are often sicker than they appear. I know it seems coincidental that it occurred after the visit, but may be the stress of the visit precipitated an already underlying disease condition such as inflammatory bowel disease or even idiopathic cystitis. These could be occurring and no other abnormalities may have been noted during exam or on blood work. I would definitely advise that you follow up with your vet right away. When cats are not taking in adequate calories it can lead to other problems, such as liver disease, so I would act quickly to get this better defined and treated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz