Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

We found a cat that was on the road and we took her to the

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: We found a cat that was on the road and we took her to the vet to find she had a broken femur and fleas and lice, we treated that with cage rest, and revolution. I've noticed yesterday that she has been itching her butt pretty often- I think it's actually the base of her tail she's been itching but I'm not sure. I also noticed today that there is a little clear/green mucusy looking stuff on her bum hole. She's been eating totally normally and pooping in the litter box as well as playing around normally. She's on an antibiotic currently so that makes it hard to beleieve it's an infection- and she also is taking a pain medicine for her leg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Well when we found her on the road we're not sure how she got there- either thrown from a car or she was crossing the road and was hit to result in the broken femur.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sweet P, and the vet estimated 7 weeks old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sweet P,?
Customer: I also noticed a little blood on her bum hole after she pooped in the box last night- I changed her to wet food after that incase she's dry or having hard stools or something.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she has been scratching her tail base and you are seeing green mucus and blood from the anus, then I'd be suspicious that she may have an anal gland abscess. With her being rested for this fracture, she may just not be expressing those glands properly when passing stool leading to an uncomfortable impaction/infection. And while any pain relief used for her fracture may be masking the discomfort often seen with these cases, its important to know that this can still occur if she is on antibiotics since that won't stop gland impaction and individual antibiotics don't cover for all agents (so if that was started for her skin, it may not cover against gut bacteria).

With all this in mind, you can consider adding some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, 0.25tsp unflavoured Metamucil) to her canned food. This will help keep her regular to prevent constipation but also firm the feces up a bit more to help her express those glands. Otherwise, you would need to have her vet express these before they can rupture. At the same time, they can re-evaluate their antibiotic choice to cover both bases and they can make sure that her skin irritation isn't left over allergic reaction from the fleas (since in that case anti-histamines or a low dose of steroids could be administered by injection to nip that in the bud).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.