Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Yesterday my 1 yr old female cat was fine, running, playing.

Customer Question

Yesterday my 1 yr old female cat was fine, running, playing. Today she just lays, wont get up. I set her down, she lays down. I carried her to litter box, she went, peed, but didn't go last time I took her. she ate some, but I took it to her, and usually she's ready for her supper. I tried to get her to drink, she wasn't interested. I put water in a syringe and gave it to her. no vomiting, just doesn't want to get up and walk. My vet isn't very good with her, I hate to take her in and make it worse. Should I just wait another day and see if she's better?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am reviewing your question. I will be with you momentarily.

I am really sorry to hear that Kali is so sick. I am going to ask a few more questions to get a better idea of what is going on with her-

-is she spayed? Current on vaccines?

-does she go outside?

-could she have a wound or injury of some sort? Can you check her for scabs, swellings or painful areas?

-can you take her temperature? Does she have a fever? Normal temperature for a cat is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees.

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you tonight.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
spayed, yes shots. yes outside , but just in our yard , not ever overnight or long periods of time .i don't think I can take temp, but she doesn't feel hot. she doesn't want me carrying her, she growls. don't see any wounds at all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pressed all over her, doesn't seem to be any tender areas.

Okay, thanks for the added information, that is really helpful.

The growling when you try to move her suggests that she is painful in some way.

Could she have escaped from the yard and been hit by a car or injured herself jumping over the fence?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, not an option, sorry. I think too, she's in pain, because she takes a step and then lays down like, no I don't want to do that. But I see no injuries. Must be something internal......if so, the pain...

Okay, do any other cats or wildlife come in the yard that she could have fought with?

Causes of internal pain in a young cat are not due to injury are rare. They include pancreatitis, feline infectious peritonitis, lymphoma?, intestinal blockage? with intestinal blockage being the most likely. Cats don't always vomit with blockage either.

Does she eat things she shouldn't like string, plants, ear plugs, etc?

How is your kitty now? About the same?

For tonight, I would make sure she is warm and comfortable and locked inside so she can't hide outside and become chilled. Also, you can put her food, water and litter near her so she can get to them easily.

If she is still painful in the morning, I would recommend that you take her to your vet for an exam.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?