Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

Baby kitten, not eating, did urinate once, no activity, deep

Customer Question

Baby kitten, not eating, did urinate once, no activity, deep breathing or respirations, not active, lathagy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Bam Bam just got today, rescued from outdoors
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bam Bam?
Customer: He looks on the skinny side, feel backbone, eyes large pupils
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help. Do you have the ability to weigh this little one on a kitchen scale? Is it old enough that it's ears are open?

They will not take anything but a kitten bottle until they are at least 4-5 weeks old, so this one may be young enough that you will have to go to Petsmart and purchase a nursing kit and KMR (kitten mild replacer).

In the immediate, place a few drops of karo syrup or honey on it's gums, as if it's not eating, they get low blood sugar very quickly!

I do a lot of work with my local animal shelter, so we see a lot of these very young kittens. Typically, when their mother has abandoned them, they can have an illness or have a problem they were born with that the mother doesn't think they will survive. I always warn our bottle baby fosters that these kittens are super fragile and even if you do everything right, they don't always survive, so please just be prepared for that.

Once you have put a few drops of honey or syrup on the gums, please get back to me with an update on how the kitten is doing.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.