Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

I have a 3 1/2 month old kitten for breeding. The echo gram

Customer Question

I have a 3 1/2 month old kitten for breeding. The echo gram says she is has a systolic murmur parasternal. 2-3/6 murmur. It is not congenital lesion.
mildly dysplastic There are no abnormalities this time. She is bought for breeder. This not hereditary because both her parent had ultra sound. Can I breed her?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 28 days ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

what was the actual lesion? systolic parasternal doesn't describe the lesion, that described the murmur. what is the actual lesion that is causing that murmur? did the vet specifically say it wasn't congenital?

I would have an echo done in 6 mo to see if there are any changes to the structure and severity of the issue. However, because of the requirements on the body (increased blood flow, stress, etc) of pregnancy, I would highly discourage you from breeding her. Breeding, pregnancy, and queening are very demanding on the body and would put her at risk of sudden death or worsening of the heart disease. even if this is not congenital (which to be honest a kitten that young with that significant heart issue would be very odd to not be congenital) the stress on the body would be too much and put her at too much health risk to breed her.

does that answer your questions? do you have any other questions for me today?

you can't rule out hereditary just by the parents being clean. it can be further in the lines and even though the parents aren't showing signs, they can still carry it