Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Itching and small patch of hair has fallen out... no fleas

Customer Question

itching and small patch of hair has fallen out... no fleas present...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Cali she is a Maine Coon ...about 14 lbs...
JA: How old is Cali?
Customer: about 9 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cali?
Customer: when I adopted her...she is a retired show cat...breeder said she had an allergic reaction to a new flea medicine...not advantage...i have forgotten what it was but it was something new as of last year I have had her for a little more than a year with no problems but it has been a year since she was at the vets...at that time the vet said not to use any flea meds...since she was totally an inside cat...but the other day she did get out...for an afternoon...we are remodeling... i have not seen any fleas
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Where on her body is the hair loss? I would be happy to look at a picture if you would like to show me one of the hair loss.

Did she have the scratching and hair loss before she went outside?

Do you have a flea comb or could you get one? Just in case because that is an easy fix. Take a flea comb and comb down her lower back 10 times. Make sure you get close to the skin. Take everything you get and put it on a white paper towel. Add a few drops of water. If anything turns reddish then that is digested blood or "flea poop"