Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Thank you! My 6 pound cat may have accidentally eaten the

Customer Question

Thank you! My 6 pound cat may have accidentally eaten the dogs 100 mg Gabapentin capsule
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Aurora 51/2 months of age
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aurora?
Customer: No!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago do you think she may have done so?

How is she now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 15 minutes ago, she got into the wet food the pill was in. Not positive she ate it, the dog may have gotten it first. As of right now, she is acting normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

Now I have to say that we rarely see cats willing eat tablets (rarely will they willingly take their own). But if you think she has had this, then we need to tread with care. This is because while this is a drug we do use in cats, the dose she may have had is just too high to be safe. Generally speaking, this can cause GI upset but the major concern is the risk of severe sedation which could affect the heart, breathing, and cause collapse. And I do have to warn that if she just had it then we'd not expect signs until it absorbed but that would be something we'd absolutely want to head off.

With this all in mind, we’d want to be proactive with such a high dose. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5 ml per pound.. You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, I would hope that Aurora didn't eat this but if you think she is the kind of cat that would have then we'd be best to be safe here and err on the side of caution with the above. Any struggles or if she does become sedate and you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )