Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

I have an 11 yea old bombay/main coon mix male cat. I've had

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 11 yea old bombay/main coon mix male cat. I've had him since six weeks old. He's up to date on shots/had a dental exam this year, no health issues, fixed, but still has his claws. My husband and I just had a baby three months ago. We knew this would be a tough situation and we prepared for it. We have feliway diffuser, calm treats, scratching post, tons of toys, catit self groomers in the house, auto laser pointer. We also sprayed the off-limits furniture with citris spray. Our cat likes to sniff the baby's things but has not tried claiming any of the baby furniture or things and doesn't do anything beyond sniff the baby's head from a distance before quickly moving on. Needless to say the cat has still had problems adjusting to the new routine. He begs for treats anytime we are in the kitchen, gets underfoot - which scares me because I've tripped over him while holding my baby. He howls and rampages in the apartment. And the more we pet him and give him attention, the more he demands further attention. Yesterday he was really calm and sweet and I played with him and felt like we were on the right track for the first time in months. And then later that night he scratched on a piece of furniture, when he's never done it since we got the cat tree two years ago and had never scratched this piece ever. Why does he seem to boundary stomp anytime we give him positive feedback? The only way to keep him in line seems to be to ignore or constantly tell him 'no'. I don't want to do that. I want my chill cat back.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Bombay's name?
Customer: Mister M
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mister M?
Customer: No I think that's it. He just seems to assume that anytime we give him any attention, he should expect more and lashes out when we say he's had enough.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Mr. M's condition...this is very common and you have done everything possible to stop this behavior. It appears to me that Mr. M needs more help and your vet can prescribe medication such as Fluoxetine or Clomicalm to help Mr. M adjust to this new environment. Cats have a very difficult time adjusting to a new baby and in most cases, the Feliway and other aids will get him past this. Since your Mr. M is still having trouble, talk to your vet about adding this will only have to be used for 1-2 months and will be worth it in the long run.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 29 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta