Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She has been vomiting and wretching for about a week or so,

Customer Question

She has been vomiting and wretching for about a week or so
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no, in fact I withheld her food for a day to see if it would calm down but it just came back with a vengeance
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Minx is 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minx?
Customer: she was a rescue cat - her breed is a Seal point Apple head siamese and she has always had breathing problems that I assumed was a result of a virus. Also, she is defecating normally and urinating normally. No fever that I can tell and her gums do not look pale/cool to me.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Minx is vomiting so much.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

There are dozens of reasons for vomiting in cats: something she ate, parasites, infection, liver disease, kidney disease, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease. Even heart disease and heartworm in cats will cause vomiting as the main symptom.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

You can try giving her some Pepcid AC (Famotidine): 2.5 mg twice daily.

To find out why she is vomiting, the place to start is a thorough physical exam: listen to heart and lungs, palpate internal organs and lymph nodes, etc. If this continues, and if the Pepcid does not help, I would have her checked out by her veterinarian.

Good she is defecating normally; that pretty much rules out an intestinal blockage, and her gums being pink not pale shows she is not seriously ill at this time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.