Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

14 yr old got stungby wasp then developed pillowear. Had

Customer Question

14 yr old got stungby wasp then developed pillowear. Had full bloodwork and operation 3weeks ago. For the last 2 days ago she wont eat or drink, sleeps all th time ( not next to me like normal) tried to feed her, she threw it up, she drank then threw that up. I tried putting her in litterbox but she just came back out and layed down. Doesn't want to be picked up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She freaks out going to and it vets
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm so sorry you didn't receive an earlier answer. Different experts are online at various times and I recently logged in and was notified of your question.

If your cat is not eating and can't keep anything down, she may have ingested something she shouldn't have, she may have an intestinal infection, she may feel nauseated or there may be something else wrong. If her stomach is empty, she's producing excess stomach acid which can cause nausea. You can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. Pepcid AC (Famotidine) tablet in a teaspoon of plain jarred baby food chicken containing NO onion or garlic products--Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken is a good one. You can crush the pill first and it should 'melt' into the baby food. Hopefully, she will keep the small amount of food and the pill, down. You can try the 1/4 pill uncrushed, too. It's a very small pill so, 1/4 is tiny. You can also try a smooth paté, canned cat food that she's used to.

If she continues not eating and vomiting,and also not drinking, she needs to be seen by a vet to get a diagnosis and treatment. She may be dehydrated and needs fluids I.V. or under the skin. She can be given an anti-emetic (anti-nausea) injection, which is much easier with a vomiting cat.

When a cat doesn't eat, even for a short amount of time, she can develop a serious liver problem called hepatic lipidosis, and if she's not drinking, dehydration is also of great concern, so that's why it's important that she's evaluated in person by a vet asap.

I understand fully, that she freaks out going to the vet and at the vet, so, a good idea for you, would be having a housecall, mobile or ER vet come to your home. You can find if there are any near you, by plugging your zipcode into this site:

http://www.vetlocator.com/housecallvets.php

--------------------

I hope all will be well with your furry girl, once she's seen by the vet and treated!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to add, she may also be constipated and that's why she doesn't want to eat and is vomiting.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/constipation.cfm

---------------

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Just a quick follow-up to see how everything is going with your kitty. Did you find my answer helpful?