Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

My 8yr.old cat,she stays inside,has a terrible case of

Customer Question

my 8yr.old cat,she stays inside,has a terrible case of fleas. Her sister is outside most of the time Neither of them can use a flea collar. I've given her 2 baths this week with Dawn, baking soda. It doesn't seem to have made a difference. I've also used Fledo Me,an all-Naturalflea control. What can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes it is. She han't ever had so many before. She is not a cat that jumps on your lap. She had a great full coat of fur in the winter. that's not true now.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 8 yrs. old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Doucie?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 29 days ago.

Hi there!

Just to clarify, you have two kitties, only one of which goes outside and besides what you've listed, you have not used any other flea control products, correct?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry about the delay in answering, someone was at the door.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 29 days ago.

Ok thanks!

Flea infestations can be very very frustrating. Keys to success are:

1. Understanding of flea life cycle - fleas can get into the house on animals fur or on our clothes, i.e. a cat doesn't even have to go outside to get fleas; once on the pet, fleas feed, produce eggs which drop off into the floors, furniture, carpets, bedding, rugs, etc., and start producing live fleas. Eggs can take up to 6 months to hatch out new fleas and are very difficult to kill.

2. In order to control/eliminate the fleas, all pets in the house must be treated monthly with an effective, good quality preventive medication (see below for info); examples include: Vectra, Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, Revolution. Monthly treatment should be applied all year round in most climates.

3. Secondly, the indoor environment must be treated as well in order to kill the immature flea stages (eggs, pupae and larvae), otherwise, they will continue to produce more fleas.

4. Even if all of that is done, it may take 3-4 months to get rid of fleas because of how difficult it is to kill flea eggs. Those flea products that have insect growth regulators (see info below) are more effective, because they will make fleas have defective eggs that will have difficulties hatching.

Here is a link for more information: and more in depth information that should help:

Hope this helps! Please let me know what other questions you might have!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 27 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 26 days ago.

Hi there! Just checking in to see if you've had a chance to review my answers and had any follow up questions!