Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She just started peeing on the carpet and a couch. She is 3

Customer Question

she just started peeing on the carpet and a couch. She is 3 years old and has never done it before. We have another cat for the last 8 months, but has never been a problem until this week. The older cat does not really like her, but she tolerates her. The cat went missing for 3 weeks and this peeing started about 2 weeks after she came back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Boo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How often is this occurring?

Does she seem to be urinating larger amount, smaller amounts or same amount?

Any red, orange or brown tint to the urine?

Any change in water consumption?

Any other signs of illness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The one this morning on the couch, I caught just as she was finishing, it seemed to be a normal amount, no color, no other signs of illness, she is eating running around good, I dont think there is any change in her consumption.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. While this could still be a behavioral/stress issue, you have to seriously consider that she has a bladder inflammatory issue called idiopathic cystitis. It is very common in cats and is linked to stress as well. Urinary tract infections are not very common in cats her age but still has to be considered as well. Lastly, metabolic problems, especially diabetes and kidney issues, can cause inappropriate urination as well. Sometimes inappropriate urination is the only way they tell you something is wrong. The first thing that really needs to be done is for your vet to run some blood work and a urinalysis to rule out an medical problem. If that is all normal, then they need to address some behavioral causes. Given her history of being missing for 3 weeks, a medical issue would be very likely. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 28 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Boo is doing and to see if you have further questions.

Dr John