Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cats gets glacy eyes,ataxia,vomiting,diaphorriah,and

Customer Question

My cats gets glacy eyes,ataxia,vomiting,diaphorriah,and become lethargic. Clindamycin did not show any improvement (assuming toxoplasmosis).The blood tests showed high level of wbc and Igg' but no Igm's. Symptoms are cyclic as they are normal for few days and then they show above mentioned signs. The vets started one cat on cipro but no big clinical improvment. Now they have started the cat on Augmentin. Colud this be a kind of super bug resistant to these medications ...please advise... I'm from Sri Lanka.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. A few questions to better assess the situation.

1. How long does the cycle of vomiting/diarrhea/ataxia last?

2. Is Tippy still eating and drinking ok?

3. Has a fecal been done to make sure we are fecal negative?

4. Any other abnormalities on blood work? Are the liver and kidneys ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vomiting does not happen all the time. But the ataxic condition may last 1-2 days and then the cat looks ok. But it will start again. The cat does not eat well during the time clinical signs are showing. There was no fecal done only a igg& a igm test. Cat drinks a lot water during the time the symptoms are shown. The blood showed low pcb's and creatine was high. The clindermycine given im for about 5 day and then given oraly did not show improment. The high wbc made the vet stop the cllindermycine and start augmentin. The cat pretty lethargic now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vet's are thinking along the line a meningitis. There was a one time epileptic attack early in to the sickness about 3 months ago. There was also saliva around the mouth during an episode.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why is it not responding to clinda: Or cipro? Now it is on augmentin given iv 3 times a day.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 29 days ago.

If it was Toxoplasmosis or even meningitis, the signs should be consistent. They have to be on Clindamycin for 2 weeks to clear bacterial meningitis or Toxo.

Was it creatinine kinase or BUN & creatine that were elevated? These are two different values from two different systems. Can you possibly upload the bloodwork?