Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

Whenever he puts pressure on his right hind leg he limps,

Customer Question

whenever he puts pressure on his right hind leg he limps, and cries
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the hind's name and age?
Customer: Yankee, and 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Yankee,?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my answer. Thank you

Rearlimb lameness in a middle aged cat could be due to arthritis in one of his joints, a partial tear on his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, a wound or area of inflammation (especially if he goes outside). If Yankee goes outside and the lameness is fairly acute, then I would be most concerned about an injury from a cat fight or other trauma. If he is strictly indoors, then arthritis or a torn ligament would be most likely. Rarely, you can have a partial obstruction to blood flow in the leg associated with a blood clot. I recommend that you have him evaluated by your local veterinarian so that they can localize the area of discomfort and get him started on appropriate pain medications. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating my response. Take care.