Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

He has a severe flea infestation. The local animal hospital

Customer Question

he has a severe flea infestation. The local animal hospital told me that his gums were nearly white. She suggested liver flavored cat food. She also gave me a tube of nutritional supplement that I need to try to get in him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is about 13 years old now.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Midnight?
Customer: Sorry. Knocked myself out for a minute. Today I took him to the local hospital; he was given a pill to kill fleas for the next 24 hours; then I received something to treat him topically which should be effective for 30 days. He has been more lethargic than usual, which I'm sure is the anemia. He has been an inside cat for most of his life; suddenly he prefers the outside. There have been some annoying behavioral changes as well. Beyond the fact that he is continually crying to go out, he has developed the habit of peeing outside the litter box. He does manage to poop in the box.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his diet is primarily dry food, with occasional use of canned Fancy Feast grilled tuna (which seems to be the only canned food my cats will eat). I'd really like to improve his health; however, finances limit my ability to do so.
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. A few questions to better assess your situation.

1. Given he is 13 and the fleas sound new, did they recommend any blood work to make sure this isn't also kidney disease or some other organ dysfunction on top of fleas?

2. Did they check a PCV? (his red cell count?)

3. Did they offer a blood transfusion if he is that low on his red cell count?

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping you.

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I did not receive any reply from you, do you still require assistance?