Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat can walk on his right paw when needed but standing

Customer Question

My cat can walk on his right paw when needed but standing still he holds it up. His paw is swollen. He is an indoor cat. When I try to look at his paw, he gets very defensive. It's been five days
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are there any other cats in the household?
2) Do you have pictures to share of the paw?
3) Is it warm to the touch, moreso than the other feet?
4) Any potential of injury?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No other cats in the house. He was under my foot Sat night when I was taking my boots off. I know I accidentally stepped on him. Just not sure where.

With no other cats in the house, the risk of an abscess is very low. My concern with you stepping on him is that he may have suffered an injury to his paw, possibly a break of one or more bones. Swelling is common, as well as tenderness, when this happens. The only way to be sure if this is the cause is to have him examined by your vet and the paw x-rayed. In any case, at 5 days of swelling and tenderness it's time to seek veterinary help even if it's not broken. Your vet will certainly be able to provide medication to help with discomfort if this is only swelling and there is no break present.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, Justine. How's Anakin doing? Were you able to schedule an exam with your vet?