Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I just got a kitten and he is 7 weeks old. He was great last

Customer Question

I just got a kitten and he is 7 weeks old. He was great last night, slept in my room, everything great. This morning he is lethargic to the point of feeling "boneless" when I pick him up, drooling and shallow breathing. he was drinking water and eating kitten food last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: Thats all we know. We just got him 2 days ago from a farmer. Barn cat had kittens. 8/1 is when he was born
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 30 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Has he been eating and drinking normally?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any access to toxins (ie chemicals, plants etc)?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
pale gums, doesn't react to water on finger or put up to his mouth
132 for breathing rate
he was eating and drinking up to today
no voimitting or diarrhea
no toxins at all. no plants in the house or chemicals
He was very energetic around midnight and then this morning is completely different cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Oh dear,

If his gums are pale and he is that non-reactive, we have an urgent situation. It may be that he has underlying anemia (if he has had issues with fleas, has sustained internal bleeding from a trauma, or has an underlying issue like FIV or FeLV). As well, if he hasn't been eating, there is serious risk of a blood sugar crash.

Now in this case, since his gums are pale and he is breathing so quickly (a sign that is not unexpected with pale gums since he will be struggling to get enough oxygen), we would be best to get him to your vet or an ER urgently. You could try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. But I fear it won't be enough and that he needs oxygen +/- a blood transfusion to stabilize him and give him a chance here.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.