Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

My cat (Blix) has a paw injection. On Saturday, Sept. 17,

Customer Question

My cat (Blix) has a paw injection. On Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016, amongst other things, my vet injected Blix with Onsior. On a recheck yesterday (September 21, 2016), my vet sent us home with Onsior in pill form (6 tablets) with instructions "Give 1 tablet by mouth once daily".However, on the official Onsior website, they mention "maximum of three days".So, is Blix getting too much Onsior? I don't want to challenge my vet with "stuff I read on the Internet", but I need a second opinion.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how is binx doing otherwise?

any other meds or illness?

eating and drinking ok?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, he has a major paw infection. The vet drained some pus yesterday. He is not eating.I need this question answered: "is it safe to take this much Onsior? The Onsior website says a maximum of three days".

I know but I needed more information to answer that question appropriately, which is why I asked.

If he isn't eating anything, then you do not want to give the onsior period. it is an nsaid and must be given with food. if not it can cause GI upset, gastric ulcers, etc.

the medication itself is labeled for 3 day use. anything over that is considered "off-label". with that said we use a lot of medications off label all the time if the condition warrants it. That label use means that is what the company tested and was approved for by the FDA. if you use that medication beyond that then it is considered "off-label" but doesn't make it any different. I have used it numerous times longer then that, many of my colleagues have used it in long term arthritis care. i also asked the additional question because if he had any kidney disease then we would want to be careful in the use of this product (best nsaid for kidney pets, but still use caution if we are using it in a cat with ckd);

with that said, if the infection is really that bad then I would have prescribed it the same way.

however, if he isn't eating then you need to talk to your vet about getting something else on board (like a pain med such as buprenorphine) until he starts eating something to give the onsior.

does that answer your questions today? is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The official Onsior sheet says, "ONSIOR tablets should be given by mouth and may be given
with or without food."

we typically give with food as with any nsaid it can cause gi upset but yes it is labeled without. however, just like in people if you take an nsaid without food some people will get gi upset.

if you are worried that the insert says something and we are telling you something else, then you can follow the insert. you can give it for 3 days then give it every other day as I have also done that with my cats that use it long term for arthritis

is there anything else I can help you with today?

If not, thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Blix. How is everything going?

Jennifer Welsh