Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat (who is 5 years old) recently and very suddenly

Customer Question

My cat (who is 5 years old) recently and very suddenly became very sick. 4 days ago he had dinner around 6pm and vomited up all of the dinner several hours later around 10. The next morning he was extremely lethargic and did not want to move. We tried feeding him breakfast and he would not eat so we just made him comfortable. Later that evening we took him to the vet who did a physical exam and noted that everything seemed fine, however when the vet felt his stomach she said he may have gas and have diarrhea. They gave him meds to settle his stomach and an IV to hydrate him. When I got home I noticed the cat had vomited bloody bile and had diarrhea as well that was also bloody and the cat still refused to eat. We brought him back to the vet the next day where he has been for 2 days now. They are treating him with meds and the diarrhea is improving, but the cat vomited again last night and still will not eat. A number of tests have been ran on the cat and everything is showing up normal or tests are coming back negative. Some things I know he was tested for are feline leukemia, blood test for pancreatitis and other like diseases, parvo etc. and now they are testing his fecal matter because they were able to retrieve an example. My question is has anyone seen anything like this before or have a suggestion as to what this might be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He vomited last night only after they tried to give him medication, not because of the food. He is only taking food via syringe though he still will not eat.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Without knowing exactly what tests they have ran and what the results were, it will be difficult to fully assess your situation. Do you know if they ran just a routine chemistry panel and complete blood cell count? I am sure they have, but need to make sure. What about any imaging, such as x-rays and/or ultrasound?