Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

He has a rasin eye. Should it be removed or just sewn shut?

Customer Question

He has a rasin eye. Should it be removed or just sewn shut ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ciego and he is 10 weeks old and otherwise healthy. He is a rescue.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ciego?
Customer: It is not certain if the eye was injured. He was found at the lumberyard where my husband works and has been cared for by our veterinarian. removing the eye will cost almost $600. The rescue person wanted to sew the eye shut when he is neutered, so conflicting suggestions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Goodness! If he has an eye that looks shriveled like a raisin, this suggests that it was ruptured previously. In regards ***** ***** question, it isn't advisable to just sew the lids over this since there would be risk of trapping infection locally as well as the risk of this acting as a means for bacteria to access the optic nerve, supporting blood vessels, and brain. Therefore, it would be highly advisable to have the whole eye removed, the optic nerve and associated vessels ligated and then have the lid closed. This would prevent those risks for Ciego and ensure he could live a normal life after this is taken out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )