Jeffrey Evans
Jeffrey Evans,
Experience:  Veterinarian at North Shore Animal Hospital
95953543

We've been feeding a feral cat for 5 years, this Oct. About

Customer Question

We've been feeding a feral cat for 5 years, this Oct. About 10 months ago, we noticed a growth on his lower rt. jowl. It has grown. I hesitate to try to capture him, since he is be-
coming friendly with me. For the last few months he will let me pet his head, back and
under his chin. He won't get near my husband. Do I just let it be and give him food and an
outdoor area that's safe?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Krista Kline replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I am Dr. Kline and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am hear to help you with your question today. Please give me a moment while I type up an answer.

I see that you have been feeding Mr. Elizabeth for about 5 years and noticed a growth on the lower jaw about 10 months ago. I am assuming since you can't catch him you don't have a picture of the mass. If you do have a picture could you please send it to me? Any change in the amount and how Mr. Elizabeth is eating?

With feral cats normally the only way to catch them is a live trap. Some shelters, rescues and even some veterinarians have live traps available to loan out to catch feral cats or other animals in the area. I am concerned that swelling has gotten bigger. It could be an infected tooth (tooth root abcess) or a neoplasia (cancer) of the jaw. This is a hard a situation because I would definitely recommend catching the cat and taking him in to be examined. Mr. Elizabeth may need sedation to even allow the veterinarian to look at the mouth. I worry that he could be painful and sick. I understand that catching him might be difficult, but I think the risk is worth it in this situation. I would hate for him to suffer if it is something that a veterinarian can treat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No change in eating, has a good appetite.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the phone call service at this time. I can continue on chat or I can opt out so someone can discuss the case with you via phone.

Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 2 months ago.

Hi This Is Dr. Evans, How are you today?