Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We've recently had quite a few health issues with my 15 year

Customer Question

We've recently had quite a few health issues with my 15 year old cat, he's battled diarrhoea for over a he had various tests carried out last Monday and the vet advised that she thought he had a mass on his spleen! We were referred to a specialist last Wednesday who carried out various scans etc and advised there was no mass on his spleen but he had thickening of the intestines. They said it was either IBS or lymphoma but without surgery they could not be sure and due to his age it wasn't the best option. He had been on steroid treatment since last Wednesday and seemed to be reacting fine! Sunday morning he peed outside his litter box and when we woke up on Monday morning there was blood in his urine! He has had cystitis in the past so took him back to the vet! He was prescribed Buprecare! It's been 18 hours since he started buprecare, I've also been giving him cystease and continued with his steroids as the vet suggested but there is still no improvement! He is eating fine, drinking fine but there is still blood in his urine! How long before cystitis usually clears up? He's also a bit wobbly on his back legs!Our other cat passed away 4 weeks ago with fate and we got 2 10 week old kittens 2 weeks ago, the kittens have been sneezing runny nose and diarrhoea which they were prescribed antibiotics for yesterday.I've kept my 15 year old cat separate from the kittens since Monday as I thought this may be a factor to the cystitis along with the vet visits last week. How long is it normal for a cat to have this before it clears up? Is it normally for him to be wobbly on his rear legs?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Columbus. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with him. The thickening of the intestinal tract has me concerned for lymphoma or IBS also. I'm assuming that at this time the prednisone is being started as you're not going to go for further diagnostic steps to try and determine which of those is present. As far as the cystitis like signs that he's having, the stress of the recent vet visits combined with the new kittens in the house could be setting that off. The FUS syndrome is one that is still being learned about. Stress in general can set off events of it. How long could it take for him to get back to normal? That is up in the air. Some get better in a few days while others may take a week or so as long as the stressors subside. Could he have a urinary tract infection? That is the other concern. The wobbly on the rear legs, that isn't something that seems to fit with an FUS situation. The steroids can cause increase of drinking and urination, but the wobbly shouldn't be due to it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only option to get a diagnoses was surgery to take biopsies and due to his age the oncologist didn't think that it was a good idea so we've started him on the steroids!! He has had solid stools for the first time in a year since the steroids although he's not pooped that often! Maybe once a day and it's not very much, he was given an antibiotics injection at the vet yesterday incase it was a urine infection but again it doesn't seem to of made much difference. Could the wobbly back legs be due to the fact he's not walking around much? We've been keeping him in the family room and the kitchen and he's been sleeping most of the time.

I won't argue at all about just starting the steroids. It is honestly the option that most owners go for in the situation Columbus is in. If he was my cat, in the same situation, I would be doing the same thing. The wobbly back legs could be why he's not walking around as much. He could be getting weaker from what is going on and this is the underlying issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah don't think there was much other treatment options available apart from the steroids. Is weakened hind legs and urine problems a sign of kidney disease?

I'm extremely sorry for my delay in getting back to you. The weakened hind legs and the urinary issues could be due to kidney issues. When the kidneys aren't working as well, they can become more dehydrated and have waste products build up that can make them weaker. This is something that can be screened for with blood work and a urine evaluation. If the urine is being concentrated, it wouldn't seem as likely to be the kidneys as the issue.