Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Female cat age 16, was hyperthyroid and had I-131 treatment,

Customer Question

Female cat age 16, was hyperthyroid and had I-131 treatment, occasionally I apply transdermal Mirtazapine for appetite (not more than once a week)..100% indoor cat..exhibited left leading head tilt one day last week, brought her to 24/7 vet and she was observed overnight, given IV's, not a good temperament ..brought her home as head tilt disappeared and a bit skittish but is eating OK...walks slowly but wondering if I should have a complete neurological assessment which means more trauma for her. Her reg vet and I have been in communication but I am in Maine now with most time in FL . The vet where I brought her said she examined ears as best she could but did not see any infection and she ordered enrofloxacin which I have not yet administered ..Possible she may have had a mini stroke...?
Her labs were OK..except slightly elevated BUN
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If her signs have completely resolved and the ER vet didn't feel there was a severe intracranial issue (which infectious/tumors/cysts usually won't settle as quickly As GiGi has), then you can choose to monitor her. It is quite possible that this was a mini vascular event that has affected the brain and has now settled. As well, we’d have to be wary of a middle ear infection (which they’d not see on ear exam alone). Still if she is back to normal with her head posture, you can choose to monitor and let her settle from her traumatic overnight stay.

Otherwise, any relapse or if she shows any other odd signs, then a full check up with both a neurological examination and check of her blood pressure (something that could precipitate a stroke or vascular event in a thyroid cat) would be indicated. And if she is a stressy lass, you could see if her local vet could do this as a home visit to keep her calm and ensure we get a real idea of her blood pressure (which can be elevated with stress and could need a day stay at the vets if done at the practice).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )