Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My cats eyes are completely dilated and have been for 5 days

Customer Question

My cats eyes are completely dilated and have been for 5 days now they are gunky
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about eyes?
Customer: No he not as active and is sleeping a lot and not eating or drinking as much
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your boy's eyes, lethargy and inappetance. There are a number of things that could be going on here, but if his eyes are constantly dilated, then you really do need to get him seen as soon as possible. In these instances, it is very important to quickly rule out issues like feline glaucoma, lens luxation and uveitis asap and to instigate treatment if any of these issues are confirmed. If these issues are left untreated, this can quickly lead to blindness and even the need for the eye or eyes to be removed. I would definitely encourage you to get him seen first thing tomorrow morning by your regular vet, and if he seems painful now, then to your local ER vet tonight. The combination of lethargy and inappetance, could potentially be due to pain, but we also have to consider whether there is another issue altogether here, or something in combination with a primary eye concern. Possibilities include anything from a toxicity, to a primary bacterial or viral disease, to an internal organ problem. Whatever the case, you need to do your best to keep your boy quiet and comfortable tonight, and then get him to your local vet first thing tomorrow. If you can gently wipe the gunk out of each of his eyes now, you can do so with a damp piece of cotton wool

For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.