Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My vet Dr. Told me in the past that if my cat drools a lot

Customer Question

My vet Dr. Told me in the past that if my cat drools a lot that it could mean teeth problems. I did look and there's a yellow one for sure, but the surgery is $700-900!! She's already had tooth extractions a year ago! Could it be anything else?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I understand that your pet Petunia has had excessive salivation and you are wondering if there are other possible causes of this besides periodontal disease.

Periodontal disease is a rather progression disorder that can change the teeth from year to year. Which is why yearly dental cleanings and/or evaluations are needed to see what changes have occurred in the mouth and what new treatments are needed for the pet. Which is why back in 2014, Petunia probably only needed a certain amount of extractions based on how advanced the disease process was at that time, but that can change year to year. Especially if she was suffering from a condition called resorptive neck lesions, which are tiny cavities that form on the teeth over time.

Now to answer your question. Some other causes for excessive salivation in an older cat that is eating OK, with no other overt symptoms (i.e. vomiting, loose stool, etc) are possibly the beginning stages of an GI disorder (i.e. Inflammatory bowel disease), Kidney malfunction or even a liver problem. Salivating is typically a sign of nausea so the spectrum of possibilities can be even more extensive than the list I have just provided. Which is why baseline blood-work would help to rule out some of these things as potential causes for the salivation. Once these things can be ruled out, and the teeth are diagnosed as being compromised on physical exam, then you can confidently conclude that advanced periodontal disease is the likely cause of her salivation and proceed with dental cleaning and extractions as needed.

- Dr. H

I have waited a bit for your response, but I see you have not yet reviewed my reply. I will look out for your response via my email notification. Let me know if there is anything else you wish to discuss about Petunia and I will be more than willing to help.

*If you have no further questions for me then please don't forget to leave me a rating for my service today. Thank you so much for your feedback.*

Best regards,

Dr. H

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 30 days ago.

I see you had a chance to review my reply. I am just checking back with you one last time to see how things are going with Petunia and to make sure you got the information you needed. Again please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you and your pet.

*And also please don't forget to leave me a rating for my services and taking the time to answer your pet concerns. Thanks again.*

- Dr. H