Krista Kline
Krista Kline, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Im over our cat Angel and at the point of taking her back to

Customer Question

Im over our cat Angel and at the point of taking her back to the shelter where she came from.The problem we have is her using the kitchen floor as a toilet and all our vet could suggest is stress from 1 now 2 dogs being introduced to the house .The vets suggestion dry cat food that has stress med in it ....Not working ,please help before I dump her back at the shelter.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Krista Kline replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I am Dr. Kline. I am a small animal veterinarian and I am going to try to help you with your problem with Angel today. I see that Angel has been going to the bathroom outside her box and on the kitchen floor correct? If you could answer a few more questions which will be helpful to me to assess the situation. Is she going to the bathroom anywhere else in the home? Is it just urination or both urination and defecation? Any vocalization or straining when urinating or defecating? Any blood in the urine? Is she eating normally? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Did this all start when the dogs were introduced into the home?

Inappropriate urination and defecation can be very frustrating and I am so sorry you are going through this. Has Angel been examined by a veterinarian? Did they check her for a urinary tract infection? Sometimes felines will have something medical going on that causes them urinate and or defecate outside the box and they are doing that to get our attention. Some felines can have urinary tract infection or a disease called feline idiopathic cystitis (which is inflammation in the bladder wall and urethra) which can causie pain and urgency to go to the bathroom when urinating. To determine if she has a urinary tract infection the veterinarian would get a sample of urine from Angel and check it for bacteria and any signs of inflammation. She may need an antibiotic and/or pain medication. The veterinarian may also do some blood work to make sure Angel's kidney function is normal. If she is medically normal then most likely cause of inappropriate urination and defecation is a behavioral problem. If you only have one litter box I recommend adding a second or even three. A general rule of thumb for litter boxes is 2 per feline in the household. I would also try a product called Feliway which is a feline pheromone that sometimes helps with inappropriate urination. It comes in a diffuser form. Sometimes felines need medication for behavioral issues. Once again I am so sorry you are going through this.

Unfortunately without further information on Angel there isn't much more I can tell you at this time. If you are available and could take a few minutes to answer the above questions that would be helpful in me getting information to you regarding Angel. If you can't get back with me I have listed some causes of inappropriate urination and defecation and some ideas that I use to help combat the problem. I wish you and Angel the best and I hope for Angel's sake that she decides to stop going to the bathroom on the kitchen floor.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi I was just checking in to see if you were able to look over some of the information I provided you yesterday? I am available now if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hi Martyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?

Krista Kline