Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

My cat was diagnosed with IBD. We treated him with

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. My cat was diagnosed with IBD. We treated him with Prednisolone for 3 month 5 mg a day. If I lower the dose the symptoms come back. I do not want to keep him on steroids all his life and looking for an alternative treatment. He is 1 year and 9 months old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: well, he doesn't loose weight, he is active, but I'm terrified that with a long term treatment of Prednisolone or without treatment at all he soon will start loosing weight and faces all the horrible consequences of the disease
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Pulter. I am a small animal general practitioner. I am sorry about your kitty Lucky. He is very young to have this problem. Give me a few minutes to write up a response.

Lucky is a very special cat. He has a disease that will require life long treatment. Prednisolone is one of those mainstay treatments for IBD to control signs and make Lucky's quality of life great. The side effects of prednisolone in cats is more minimal than in dogs, though diabetes is a general concern. There are additional treatment options that can help control IBD and an Internal medicine specialist can help you with that. You can also ask your general vet for other options, to speak with an internal medicine specialist or find a new vet that will work with you on options. Be mindful of the diet Lucky is on and make sure he doesn't get into anything else.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Chelsea Pulter