Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Have a stray cat, took to vet and was told she had pyorrhea

Customer Question

Hi Dr Scott, Have a stray cat, took to vet and was told she had pyorrhea as her mouth was inflamed. she was put on antibiotic (Clavomax) and somewhat cleared up. Had a rabies injection done at that time. Took her back 14 days later and was told that the pyorrhea was cleared up. She got a distemper shot and I was advised to bring her back in 1-2 months for another distemper shot. The cat got worse so was taken back to the vet. Throat is totally inflamed with ulcers and fever. I requested to have some blood test done and it came back with elevated wbc's and neutrophils. Got a phone call stating they wanted to put her back on more meds. Went to the office to pick up the meds and they wanted to place her on more worm meds. she has been on strongid X 2 doses and an injection of droncit as well as a depo Medrol injection.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about stating?
Customer: Hemoglobin5.7, wbc 19.0, hematocrit 16.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with this stray. Her hematocrit is low enough to prompt a blood transfusion and suggests either of the immunosuppressive viruses of cats - feline leukemia (FeLV) or feline immundodeficiency (FIV). Was she tested for these at the time of her initial testing? If not, don't throw more drugs at her until this is done. I have to leave my computer for a couple of hours but promise to reply as soon as I return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?