Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My older cat has recently started doing this weird thing

Customer Question

My older cat has recently started doing this weird thing with his mouth after he eats...
It sounds like he's grinding, but yet also trying to get something out of his mouth. It only lasts a minute or so, then he is perfectly fine. There is no loss of appetite.
I did manage to get a short video of it, since it's hard to describe.....(can't figure out how to attach though!)
Recently took him to the vet because he was acting like he was trying to vomit and stopped eating. They said he had a possible kidney infection and started him on antibiotics. They checked his mouth and only noticed a small abcess, which I was told would clear up with the antibiotics also.
I really don't want to take him back in and spend another $700 just for them to tell me nothing is wrong again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Actually you have done well describing what you are seeing. Teeth grinding and behaviours of this nature in older cats is often due to dental disease. It can be related to a loose tooth but often a rotten tooth that is causing discomfort. (And I suspect the reason he likely only shows signs for a minute is because at that point he have manage to push the tooth back up and into alignment with the tooth across from it). As well, if you recently saw a tooth root abscess present, then we'd be especially wary of the tooth associated being the problematic one. This is because if the tooth is decaying or loose, bacteria from the mouth will readily colonize the tooth socket to cause discomfort and the abscess seen. Therefore, while I appreciate you aren't keen to have Chopper seen again, it would be ideal since we don't want this to progress to a point where his mouth becomes too sore for him to eat.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chopper. How is everything going?

Dr. B.