Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 17 year old cat had hyperthyroidusm and kidney diseses.

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat had hyperthyroidusm and kidney diseses. He was eating and drinking. Under constant vet care. But ran to lilitter box every couple seconds, would walk wobbling, stood and stared or cried out loud. walked around in circles or paced constantly. Threw up almost every time he ate. Even white foam. I had him put to sleep Wednesday but am ate up with guilt. Should I have waIted? In your opiniin wiuld yoy have recommended euthanation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is Dr. Bruce. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss of this special friend. It is always hard to let one go. Do you feel that he was losing more weight despite his other issues? How long was the vomiting going on? I'm going to be honest here and say that from what you're describing, his situation didn't sound good. The one thing I council owners on is knowing when to let a pet go. The last thing we want for these little one's is to prolong something that is not getting better and they are stressed out / feeling discomfort from it. With the way he was behaving, it sounded like his body was getting stressed and the decision to let him go was a compassionate one that was for him.