Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I really need some help with a flee situation with both of

Customer Question

I really need some help with a flee situation with both of my cats.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What seems to be the problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have used everything the vet has given us to get rid of the fleas on our two cats...The pill and the stuff u put on the back of there neck...This has been an ongoing issue for nearly 4 months now and one of our cats is a very full and thick grey Nebelung...He used to be so full and gorgeous...but his tail looks like he is an old alley cat now...He is losing hair...Our house is not infested...and there arent a lot on them but enough to where we can still find several and see eggs...What else can we do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- What medications are you currently using?

2- What have you used before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I honestly dont know what the name of the pills are...They take one by mouth and the vet said it will kill all the live fleas on them..then told us to put the medicine on the back of their necks...I think its Advantage or something of the like.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How long since the last time they were treated?

2- Are they strictly indoors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they are both strictly indoors but occasionally one of them will sneak out when someone opens a door...but we are quick to get them back inside...They were treated with a pill 2 weeks ago...and we put the medicine on the back of their neck about 3 nights ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the medicine on the back of the neck made the youngest one sick...They were licking them selves like crazy and he threw up twice withing 12 hours of having the med.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, it will be difficult for me to make any kind of recommendation without knowing the names of the medication. I would recommend you phone your family veterinarian so that you have all the information on hand for me or any other vet you are chatting with to be able to make a plan for you. I am going to opt out as I will be leaving shortly and I am not certain at what time I will be back, I am sorry. You can either re-post a new question when you have the names of the medication on hand or wait for another expert to follow on this thread. I am sorry.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. I suspect that the pill that works for a month was in the spinosad class of insecticides such as Comfortis. All of the oral products for cats are excellent flea killers and should obviate the need to use a topical at all. I would prefer that you didn't if for the only reason that cats will ingest them while grooming. Most important - your house is infested. There may not be a lot of live fleas but there will be thousands of flea eggs and larvae that will become adults. It's essential that you either have a professional fumigator come in or treat your premises yourself with an area treatment spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such methoprene found in Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray available over the counter in pet/feed stores or online. IGRs don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas thus breaking up the flea's life cycle. Avoid the inefficient foggers; they don't reach under furniture or into the tiny cracks in flooring and under baseboards.

In particularly severe cases, your cats should be administered nitenpyram (oral Capstar, available over the counter in pet/feed stores or online) every 24 to 48 hours for 4 weeks in conjunction with environmental treatment as I mentioned above. You can win this battle if you treat both your cats and premises concomitantly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.